We’ve all been there – passing the scene of even a minor accident, uttering a small word of thanks that it isn’t us, and moving on. But for those in that situation it can be a frightening and stressful position that causes us to wonder What do I do now?
While no one plans to be in an accident, here are some general tips that may make things just a little bit easier should you find yourself in a roadside emergency.
No one wants or expects to be in an accident, but it happens to people everyday. Before it happens to you there are a few steps you can take to help make the situation easier if it arises.
- Make sure your insurance information is up to date and is easily accessible.
- Have a list of emergency contact numbers clearly designated in your mobile phone.
- A basic first aid kit.
- A disposable camera to take photos of the scene and any damage (though with mobile phone cameras this may be redundant, but a little redundancy never hurt).
- Ensure that your spare tyre is in good condition and filled to the suggested pressure, and that all required tools to change a tyre are there.
- A tyre repair kit and pump.
- Emergency road flares, reflective triangles, or cones
- A thermal blanket
- A pair of work gloves
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- Bottled water and non-perishable food
- Booster cables
- Fire Extinguisher
- Hand wipes